I will open with--it's not the flu, for me anyway!! I tested negative, but what I have must be a very close relative to the flu. I won't go into details, but I think I am on the mend. I thought I would enjoy a day at home and get some stuff done, but I have slept all day.
As an art teacher, I am constantly searching the web for projects my kids can do. I love working with the elementary students, but ideas and money are always a factor. I often run into projects on the web with unclear instructions and no picture. I have always thought a website that gave easy ideas and included pictures would be nice. With that in mind, I thought I might start including a few projects for my teacher followers or moms who like to do projects with their kids. I am working on crafts with our elementary students to be sold at the upcoming Fall Festival. I did the spider craft with a first grade class, and it was a hit.
1. Blow up a small water balloon.
2. Wrap the balloon with black crochet thread. Do not tie or not, just wrap the balloon in all directions.
3. Dip the balloon in liquid starch. Be sure to cover the entire balloon!
4. Tie a piece of string to the top of the balloon and hang to dry. Remember it will drip, so you may want to put a small pan under the balloon. I allowed mine to dry overnight.
5. Pop and remove the balloon.
6. Thread two black pipe cleaners through the side of the hardened spider body. Twist to hold in place and bend to form four legs. Repeat for other side.
7. I added googly eyes to be quick, and I had them on hand. To save money, cut foam or felt would also work great.
8. As a finishing touch, I hot glued an orange pom pom to the front for a nose. Again to save money, this could be omitted or substituted.
9. We are debating a final step. Some kids want to tie string to the top to hang their spider. I thought this might be cute, especially in a classroom with spiders EVERYWHERE!
I hope this is helpful and inspires as least one mom to create a string spider! If the response is good, I may add more this week.